Living And Learning With MOOCS

This blog note I posted in my LEARNING blog which I never got to continue developing as I was occupied with developing several other content I was trying to do at that time - 2013. 

So timely because today all students are online. And I was on it way, way back. I was almost retired at that time but because I wanted to continue learning I found  out that I could continue learning through MOOCS.   

So what are MOOCs?

MOOCs or Massive Open Online Courses are free online courses asynchronously accessible through the Web. These  courses are offered by educational institutions like Stanford, MIT, Harvard, and other big league schools in the United States. MOOCs do not give university degrees but taking these courses could supplement college studies or refresh everything you have learned upon retirement or whenever there is an opportunity. 

At the time, MOOCs were provided FREE. Full audit and can participate in the exams. They also gave out  Statements of Accomplishments to those who just audit the courses;  or today, one can take it with Verified Certificates for a fee. (kind of steep)

I took my courses from coursera, edX, novoed, open2study and  stanford online. 

Learning Through MOOCS Require: 

1. Desire to learn - there  is no easy way  trying to learn new things. Motivation, and a whole bunch of  determination can do you good during difficult and lazy moments.

2. Discipline - online courses are delivered through video lectures, with corresponding reading requirements,  assignments to fulfill, quizzes to take under strict deadlines. Goes without saying, you have to ace the examinations if not pass.

It's  almost like taking the course in a classrooms, but lessons are served virtually. You need discipline in managing your time to do all the required activities. There are self-paced classes though, if you are just there to audit or lurk. Always, effort equals success.

3. Familiarity with technology as in using computers, emails, web browsers, and other software that may go  with the learning.  You  have to those in place where you want to take your chosen courses.

4. Openness -  of course,  it is very important to maintain an open mind.

Take Note Online Students.  

Popular posts from this blog

Pandering