Skip to main content

A Peep into Office Politics

As a continuing topic to my corporate animal post I did earlier, here are my thoughts on office politics.

While still working for the hustler boss, plus knowing what kind of an office environment I was in, and, wanting to get ahead, I dealt with office politics the best way I could. I worked hard. Managed to stay a team player, cooperative and mindful of my co-workers, every step of the way. But at the same time, I knew that to advance my career I needed a plan. Something honest and intelligent to help me get to where I wanted to be. In an open manner, of course.

I read up and found out that there were legitimate strategies and tact to improve my position. And these were the implements I used to gain my momentum:

Remember, I was still working for the boss and his wife.

1. Every time I finished an assignment, I would write my boss and the wife a memo, with a summary of what has been achieved. The memo talked about what has been accomplished and how it affected the company's bottom line.
2. I sent my boss every copy of my correspondence with my prospects or clients, just to document the activity. I kept my own personal copy at home.
3. All the job requests I made in aid of closing a sale, I put in writing. This is to avoid taking the blame for something I didn't have anything to do with.
4. I always consulted my boss' wife about my sales strategies, asking her advice that way I am clearly visible in her radar.
5. I accepted all special assignments and sometimes even volunteered a couple of times. (Chairing the Christmas Party activities)
6. I always shielded my work from co-workers who tried to steal the limelight from my work by again, confiding and consulting the boss' wife.
7. I was always generous about sincerely praising people I work with on projects.
8.Being new at the sales job, I acknowledge my limitations but compensated by learning hard, reading up, asking people in the know for suggestions, and feedback to improve myself.

In the course of doing all these things, I have met ruthless co-workers and prospects and customers who had nothing better to do but put me down. I am no saint. But I fight fair and square. This was something the dark side of office politics was not able to do - vanquish me. How I did that? Always, as in ALWAYS, I would openly admit my mistakes if I have to, and more so, even if I didn't have to.

Popular posts from this blog

Living Money

"Charity degrades those who receive it, and hardens those who dispense it."

"Money is not neutral; it changes everything, including the ability to neutrally judge what people will or will not do for you."

Living with City Density

It is a must that we curb our population growth
Guesstimates peg that  Metro Manila's population has grown to almost 15million  today. In 1974 while doing my OJT at POPCOM, national rowth rate was 33% and Metro Manila's population at that time was 4 million.  Today it has bloated to almost 15 million after rate was said to have been  'reduced' to 32.1%. Not much improvement really.
Metro Manila population has grown alarmingly fast.  We all know what this means. Living and  health  conditions deteriorate.  Poverty becomes the order of the day. If there are more than 15,000 individuals on a mere square kilometer, you can imagine  pollution, over crowding, resources dwindling and then disease not to mention managing flood disasters in the magnitude of Ondoy and Pepeng. Poor social and economic conditions prevail if not worsen.
The Reproductive Health Bill has been approved.


Live to Love

Filling the house with Love

Christmas is always a message of HOPE..

And yes call me a great hoarder of  Christmas decor.. I would not mind..


Christmas and all things nice by malud on Polyvore