Once you have made that one big decision to try go the investing path, these are some of the things to always keep in mind:
1. Investigate. Investigate. Investigate. This could never be over emphasized. Investing and using impulse, hunch, or rumor is never a good combination. Research and do the due diligence.
2. Always focus on the risks, especially the downside. Counting what you could lose is better than counting what could be earned.
3. Continue investigating even after the investment has been made. Big companies experience up and down movements just like any small ones.
4. Watch for the economic indicators. Movements are part of the daily investing grind.
5. Set realistic investment goals like 30-40% higher than cost is acceptable. Stock investments particularly, move, zoom, move up, take dips and assume new highs.
6. Diversify. Diversify. Diversify. In other words, do not put all your eggs in one basket.
7. Make it a point to use research as well as common sense in making investment decisions.
We could use some more tips here. Thanks.